There’s still plenty to do still to complete the first iteration of my homemade bandsaw mill however I had enough done to do some test cuts to make sure it would actually work. Here I’m cutting a 12″ diameter spruce log around 5’6″ long. The guides are not set, the saw is at a fixed height, and the lube system isn’t installed.
There is still a bunch of stuff I still need to do but at least I can finally be reassured that it will actually cut a log. Since I didn’t know if this was going to work or totally destroy a log, I chose a log that I cared the least about: a 12″ diameter, 5.5′ long, spruce log. I got 3 boards around 7/8″ thick, 1 board around, 2″ thick, and one around 2.5″ thick. It also looks like I’ll be able to squeeze a few boards out of the offcuts. I’m manually pushing the carriage down the track right now but I couldn’t even feel the cut resistance. Anyways, I’m pretty ecstatic right now!