Matt’s Weekly Shop Update – September 1, 2017

I spent most of the week finishing up the paint job on the sawmill and getting it reassembled.  In the shop, I added the scroll work to the lower case of the highboy.

Triton’s Channel:




I will be at the Minnetonka Rocker Store on Sept 2 from 9-11
12995 Ridgedale Dr
Minnetonka, MN 55305

Yandles Show:

Viewer Projects

Bedside Chest by Matt

The top is very figured olive wood with ebony bow-ties for stabilization. I also followed your instruction on filling the cracks with epoxy. The carcass and drawer fronts are walnut and the drawers themselves are pine. This was my first large furniture build.

I also recently built a kitchen sink out of cherry wood. This was a pretty complicated project that could be done much quicker with a CNC router.  I used a penetrating epoxy made for wood boats and then there are the 5 coats of Epiphanes on the interior. I hope it won’t need to be refinished for a few years but I will have to wait and see. The reason I went with wood was the original fiberglass sink was very poorly made with some areas of only gel-coat. I searched high and low for someone to repair it but no one would take the job. My wife originally wanted a stainless steel sink so I shopped around for a replacement. However the sink is a very odd size. I even tried to buy separate bowls and weld them together, but could not find anything close to matching the existing sink. I did get a quote for a custom sink at $2500. So I decided a wood sink would work. I had made a router jig of the shape I needed giving clearance for faucet openings. Then just built the sink one layer at a time using a flush trim bit.The hardest part was making the curved transition from the vertical walls to the bottom. I glued up the bottom flat with two layers for the curved transition. Then using the largest round-nose bit I could find. I then made a custom bushing for the router table that could follow the the jig. This part was the most stressful but it all worked out. It may not be the most durable but I must say it fits the look of the kitchen very well.

Throne by John

A Throne that the Ledbury Poetry Fesival wanted made for the up coming Fesival. We had a oak tree come down some time ago and I managed to get it milled. From this I made the Throne. I carved the back with some fairies and on the legs oak leaves and acorns. It was finished with Danish oil. I also made a small foot stall to go with it.

Bench by Paul

I’m 15 and I just finished my first live edge project: an bench with an oak top and ash legs. It has a big sentimental value to me because the top (the oak slab) was from a tree cut down and milled by my grandfather who passed away last year.


Clock by Bob

a clock I made entirely out of a urban log save.  This tree was blown over during hurricane Matthew here in NC.  The pieces in the trailer are what I recovered for free in someone’s front yard that would have been in a dump. The roundish piece is a 31″ diameter x 40″ H burl of red oak.  I was also able to save several 8″-12″ 6 foot upper limb sections that were milled that made the base.  In addition you’ll see black walnut inlays on the side of the base.
Home Addition & Renovation

Upper Cabinets and Range Hood Surround

Welcome back to our home renovation.  Today I am going to be working on this wall. It needs some upper cabinets and the surround for

3 Responses

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.